Difference between revisions of "Coleus"
|Line 58:||Line 58:|
Latest revision as of 12:40, 1 May 2006
Scientific Name: Coleus blumei or Solenostemon scutellarioides
- Family: Lamiaceae
- Growth Habit: Herbaceous perennial, fast growth
- Origin: Indonesia, Malaysia, Africa
- Bedding plants
- Hanging baskets
- Sexual: Seed
- Asexual: Stem cuttings
- Light - (photosynthesis, photoperiodic responses): Prefer shade/light shade, can tolerate full sun. i.e. 1500~3000 foot candles. Coleus will develop more intense foliage color in shadier conditions.
- Temperature (recommended/necessary for different growth stages or growth regulation): Establish Coleus at 65F, after establishment grow 70-85F daytime temp. 55-65F night temp.
- Water: Provide adequate moisture
- Nutrition: Feed with complete fertilizers @ 150-200 ppm Nitrogen, E.C. of 1.2-2.0 is a good target. Provide clear water applications if excess soluble salts accumulate.
- Media/Potting/Planting: Rich, well drained, at a target pH of 5.5-6.3
- Atmosphere: Provide good air circulation at all times, maintain relative humidity 60-90% (if temperatures are cooler, lower humidity).
- Growth Regulation: *chemical: Uniconazole ~ controls height and diameter. *Pinching growing terminals of young plants will encourages dense, compact growth.
V. Special Considerations
- Osmocote is a well-balanced good slow release fertilizer.
- Insect: Mealybug, Aphids, White fly, Nematodes, Spider Mites
- Disease: Stem rot, Root rot, Pythium, Botrytis
- Mutations: Browning on the edges
VII. Marketing and Grading
- Areas of production in U.S.: Everywhere
VIII. Postharvest Handling
- Shipped to retailers and sold to everyone who is cool enough to incorporate Coleus in their garden.
IX. Cultivars: Thousands of Cultivars